Search this site:

DATES IN TIME

Lest we forget, here's the "nutshell" history of our village: 

1884 :

  • The first pioneer, Alfred Eyles (1861 - 1938) from Wiltshire, England, established Imbizane Mission at ‘The Outlook’ on the present day Outlook Farm.

1895 :

  • The Fascadale, a four-masted steel barque built in 1890, en route from Mauritius to Lisbon, was wrecked on the large rocks seawards of the hotel tidal pool.  Captain Smith was not on board and the first mate, Alfred Julius, was in charge.  Two crewmembers were drowned.  The arrival of Norham Castle, a steamer, prevented any further loss of life.

1908 :

  • The Swedish Zulu Mission took over from Alfred Eyles and rebuilt Imbizane Mission at Bushy Vales.  To avoid confusion, the Eyles’ family home was renamed ‘Southbroom’ after a family home of the same name in Devizes, England.

1933 :

  • Alfred Eyles’ youngest sons Frank and Gilbert, the founders of Southbroom, planned and proclaimed the park-like township on land acquired by their father, for 10 shillings an acre, before the turn of the century.

1935  :

  • The Southbroom Hotel opened as a boarding house.

1937 :

  • The hotel tidal pool (Granny’s Pool) was built.

1939  :

  • Frank Eyles built a 9-hole golf course laid out by golf professional J Naven.

1944 :

  • Ruth and Howard Barbour opened the first general store and postal agency.

1946 :

  • Pine trees were planted throughout the township.

1948 :

  • The golf course was extended to 18 holes.  A L Mandy was the designer and the new course incorporated only 4 of the original 9 holes. The bowling green was laid down by Jimmy Green and Ernie Sturman.

1950 :

  • Southbroom Golf Club was formed under Chairman/Captain E A Marshall, with Gilbert Eyles as President.  Southbroom Bowling Club opened with Reg Ault as President.
    The main beach tearoom opened.

1952 :

  • The first Health Committee was formed under the chairmanship of Bertie Brown. 1961
    The main beach tidal pool was built.

1975 :

  • The Tennis Club opened at Eyles Park under the chairmanship of Byron Purtell.  Sea Captain Secretan funded the construction of two all-weather courts. 

1977 :

  • Environmentalist Leo Driessen donated the Frederika Nature Preserve to Southbroom.  The preserve is now a National Heritage Site comprising 8 hectares of mature, virgin dune forest bordering the 16th/17th/2nd fairways of the golf course.

1984 :

  • The Southbroom Hotel was demolished amidst great controversy that caused the land to remain vacant for many years.  (The Admiralty is now built on the site.)

1988 :

  • Southbroom attained Town Board status.

1995 :

  • The Mpenjati/Southbroom Local Transitional Council was formed.

1999 :

  • Southbroom was incorporated into the Hibiscus Coast Municipality.

2003 :

  • Ratepayers’ Association commissioned the clearance of alien invader plants from public areas of outstanding natural beauty. 

2004 :

  • Southbroom Conservancy established.